In dedication of XSEED Games and the WyrdWad KKK Witch era, we present Jeff "DeuceBag" Nussbaum in his own words:

Why, if I didn't know any better, I'd say Psycho Jeff is involving/attacking innocent families of neo-geo.com fans he wants to see die and help kill [painfully]!! Remember how a defining part of the WyrdWad era was equating targets to Hitler/Nazis ? Isn't this rant a Nazi eugenicist speech ? The "superior" fat, bald, cock-flasher says certain people AND their offspring need to be eliminated for being inferior, who represent a "pollution" of the human gene pool... It sure sounds like a Nazi speech to me by Jeff here, am I wrong XSEED fans/shills ?? Looking at you, DigitalEmelas! I mean, if it looks like a duck and walks like a duck, ya know ?? What do I know right? Everybody's ignoring it and other XSEED embarrassments...

Not the first time either: when one of his bosses fired him (shock!), he not only wanted him dead but implied his kids must be as horribly ugly as he is! He didn't think anyone would read his blog, but like omgfloofy says, "Know your translator..." I was also added to his kill-list when I trolled him on Kotaku's KKK Witches article (he wants me to die by an acid bath)... Another funny anecdote: while there are ambulance-chasers, Bankruptcy Jeff falls under the rare ambulance-crasher category, haha! Imagine being condemned, defamed, lied about by a complete psychotic mess of a manchild after massively cheating you who turns out was deflecting from deep mental problems & his own PR liabilities! This unhinged hypocrite bigoted bastard showing up from neo-geo.com in my forums/projects to get up on his high horse to smear me as an "embarassment" had A LOT of fucking nerve! BURN IN HELL!!

So...I finally figured out why all of XSEED/WyrdWad's friends can be credited for just about anything (including Ys Celceta DVD piracy) but I cannot (they have VERY high standards for people of good/moral character, you see):
While you are NOT credit-worthy, bold/bald/fat homicidal cock-flashers & wyrdwad pedophiles ARE 'acceptable' for being credited on XSEED Games' localizations...

Last Shout - Posted by: Bernie - Sep. 09, 2020, 04:40:16 PM
WTF is up NW?!!!! ;D

Author Topic: Just bought a new 250 GB WD drive. What's the best price for 'em?  (Read 2771 times)

Offline NightWolve

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Shogun
    • View Profile
    • Ys Utopia.net
So, I went down to my local BestBuy and noticed a 250 GB/7200 RPM/8 MB CACHE hard drive on sale for $79.99. The 2nd drive on my PC system was just about to die, but I was able to salvage just about everything that was non-recoverable/replacable. The Win98 partition had already been damaged and could no longer boot. Fortunately, when I turned the PC off for a few minutes, and restarted, the noise the drive was making stopped and it began to work again allowing me to copy off my important files.

Anyway, so $79.99 x 1.0875 = $87 bucks for 250 GB. Good deal? I'm usually pretty lazy about these things even though I know I can probably hunt for a better deal on the net. If I see it on the shelf at the store, I'm more inclined to get it that way if the deal is fairly good enough. In this case, the sale was like a 70 dollar instant rebate from their regular marked up price. Anyhow, I like Western Digital myself and this seemed reasonable, so I decided what the hell. I need a backup drive now that my other one died and I'm at a critical stage with all my legacy, projects, etc. so if my main drive died, my life would be over. Heh. (I don't have a DVD burner for making backups either...)

You break my record, now I break you, like I break your friend!

Offline esteban666

• Eager Initiate
  • "Swing the Glove to Exit" -Jackie Chan POWERBOXING
    • View Profile
    • TurboPlay Magazine Archives
Re: Just bought a new 250 GB WD drive. What's the best price for 'em?
« Reply #1 on: Jun. 17, 2006, 05:32:19 PM »
So, I went down to my local BestBuy and noticed a 250 GB/7200 RPM/8 MB CACHE hard drive on sale for $79.99. The 2nd drive on my PC system was just about to die, but I was able to salvage just about everything that was non-recoverable/replacable. The Win98 partition had already been damaged and could no longer boot. Fortunately, when I turned the PC off for a few minutes, and restarted, the noise the drive was making stopped and it began to work again allowing me to copy off my important files.

Anyway, so $79.99 x 1.0875 = $87 bucks for 250 GB. Good deal? I'm usually pretty lazy about these things even though I know I can probably hunt for a better deal on the net. If I see it on the shelf at the store, I'm more inclined to get it that way if the deal is fairly good enough. In this case, the sale was like a 70 dollar instant rebate from their regular marked up price. Anyhow, I like Western Digital myself and this seemed reasonable, so I decided what the hell. I need a backup drive now that my other one died and I'm at a critical stage with all my legacy, projects, etc. so if my main drive died, my life would be over. Heh. (I don't have a DVD burner for making backups either...)
Well, I actually have not priced drives for quite some time (2+ years), but it certainly sounds like a kick-ass deal. 250 GB? Goddam! I bought an external HD for $150+ 2+ years ago for a whopping 80GB and I thought that was absolutely huge!

TANGENT:
Not to go off on a tangent, but the hub of my home network is actually a Dell Pentium II circa 1998! I mention this because you are still running Win 98, as I am, on our old desktops. I remember when my wife and I bought this computer, because maybe 6-8 months later, the first Pentium III's were released.

Anyway, I actually still use "Oldie" for basic stuff. The CRT monitor is -- no joke -- like 60 lbs. OK, I don't know how heavy it is, but it is definitely one of the heaviest monitors I've ever encountered.

When friends and relatives want to use a computer, my wife and I never even mention our laptops. We simply bring them to Oldie.
END TANGENT.
  |    | 

Offline Seldane

• Dulk Dekt
  • Seasoned Veteran
  • Maayti
    • View Profile
    • Ancient Land of Ys
« Reply #2 on: Jun. 17, 2006, 05:49:29 PM »
80 dollars sounds like a pretty good deal. 250GB drives seem to cost about 100 dollars here, if not more (200 GB drives cost like 10 dollars less). 300GB drives are usually super expensive though, about twice the price of a 250GB drive, seriously!
DVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:

Indeed, it's AV time. Check out: ! Sir, the door was open.

Offline NightWolve

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Shogun
    • View Profile
    • Ys Utopia.net
« Reply #3 on: Jun. 17, 2006, 06:19:44 PM »
TANGENT:
Not to go off on a tangent, but the hub of my home network is actually a Dell Pentium II circa 1998! I mention this because you are still running Win 98, as I am, on our old desktops. I remember when my wife and I bought this computer, because maybe 6-8 months later, the first Pentium III's were released.

Well, I'm running Win 98 SE, ME, NT 4.0 Workstation, XP Professional and soon there'll be a 2000 Professional partition as well. I just got done restoring the 98 partition and a ME one on the new drive. Anyhow, my main partition that I do all my work and activity on is XP. The rest are for testing basically and I can like sometimes use the 2K partition to fix problems when XP screws up, so it's all good for backup purposes. Other than that, at least one 98/ME partition is good for old games that don't work well with the NT core.

Offline Dave Shadoff

• Hapless Fledgling
  • Ys IV Localizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun. 17, 2006, 09:42:06 PM »
That sounds like a great price to me.

However, I would be careful with external drives - especially if they are formatted with NTFS.  I'm not sure why they fail, but they fail a whole helluva lot sooner than internals.  It is probably something about the enclosure's USB-to-ATA controller, rather than the drive itself.

Between myself and a friend of mine, we have owned about 8 external drives of various makes over the past 5 years (not including do-it-yourself enclosure kits), and the only ones still working are:
- my oldest, circa 2001, FAT-32
- his newest (2 units), less than 6 months old, NTFS but net-mounted.
Average lifetime before failure: 2 years.
Shortest in-use lifetime before failure: 2 months.

This is not to say that you won't get a couple of excellent years of use out of it, but be extra specially careful to ensure that it is used as a backup drive, or that it is backed up horrendously regularly.

Offline NightWolve

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Shogun
    • View Profile
    • Ys Utopia.net
« Reply #5 on: Jun. 19, 2006, 01:08:18 PM »
However, I would be careful with external drives - especially if they are formatted with NTFS.  I'm not sure why they fail, but they fail a whole helluva lot sooner than internals.  It is probably something about the enclosure's USB-to-ATA controller, rather than the drive itself.

Yeah, I agree. I bought an 80 GB external firewire drive a few years back. It had a Western Digital drive inside but the enclosure/circuitry was made in China. It broke in about a year or so. Later I learned there's a way to start it up even in its damaged condition after warming it up for about an hour, etc., but that came at the cost of breaking the [IDE] hard drive. Initially, I thought the hard drive itself went bad. Unfortunately, had I removed and connected it internally to my PC, I would've seen that it was fine and that I could save all the files I had on it. Instead, since I figured it was garbage, I opened it up.... The End. Heh =\

I do have a theory on what caused the firewire case to break, though. I had enabled the power saving feature in Windows to spin down all hard drives when not used for say 20 minutes, etc. When it first broke, it was powered down by that feature, and refused to spin the drive back up when I tried to use it. Anyway, thought I'd share that. I'm still a little sore about $300 USD going down the tubes like that...

Offline esteban666

• Eager Initiate
  • "Swing the Glove to Exit" -Jackie Chan POWERBOXING
    • View Profile
    • TurboPlay Magazine Archives
« Reply #6 on: Jun. 21, 2006, 01:28:12 AM »
OK, point taken. I thought my external harddrive was a very good solution, but now I am questioning that assessment. I know I have a bunch of files on the HD that haven't been properly archived yet (on CD)... I'd be upset if I lost them.
  |    |