In dedication of XSEED Games and the WyrdWad KKK Witch era, we present Jeff "DeuceBag" Nussbaum in his own words:

Why, if I didn't know any better, I'd say Psycho Jeff is involving/attacking the innocent families of neo-geo.com fans he wants to see die and help kill [painfully]!! Not the first time: when one of his bosses fired him (shock!), he not only wanted him dead but implied his kids must be as horribly ugly as he is! He didn't think anyone would read his blog, but like omgfloofy says, "Know your translator..." Another funny anecdote: while there are ambulance-chasers, Bankruptcy Jeff falls under the rare ambulance-crasher category, haha! Imagine being condemned, defamed, lied about by a complete psychotic mess of a manchild after massively cheating you who turns out was deflecting from deep mental problems & his own PR liabilities! This unhinged hypocrite bigoted bastard showing up from neo-geo.com in my forums/projects to get up on his high horse to smear me as an "embarassment" had A LOT of fucking nerve! BURN IN HELL!!

So...I finally figured out why all of XSEED/WyrdWad's friends can be credited for just about anything (including Ys Celceta DVD piracy) but I cannot (they have VERY high standards for people of good/moral character, you see):
Only bold/bald/fat homicidal cock-flashers & wyrdwad pedophiles are 'acceptable' for being credited on XSEED Games' localizations...

Last Shout - Posted by: Bernie - Sep. 09, 2020, 04:40:16 PM
WTF is up NW?!!!! ;D

Author Topic: YsF Script Proofreading  (Read 3250 times)

Offline NightWolve

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Shogun
    • View Profile
    • Ys Utopia.net
YsF Script Proofreading
« on: Dec. 30, 2006, 03:13:35 PM »
I'm making the script dumps available for those that decided to privately beta test or anyone else that would like to.

https://www.ysutopia.net/downloads/ysf/YsFScript.rar

There are two files. The ingamedialogue file is the result of a hack where whatever strings you are seeing while you're playing the game are written to a file. So as you play the game and talk to everyone and do everything, you obtain the dialogue exactly, in order, as it appears in the game. Psycho DeuceBag came up with the idea to help with context and so I enabled the feature to produce such a file.

Now the other file is the raw script dump out of the library files of the game. The order is not exactly as it will appear in the game, but it has every string, every item, every system related string, etc. That one is what I open in Microsoft Word and run a spell check on.

Anyhow, I thought I'd make these files available and make it well known to enlist proofreaders that would give them serious scrutiny. One important detail though. The dialogue dump version is a little out of date. Use the YsF_ScriptSpellCheck.html for most of your proofreading and leave the other file for when you need context, etc. Be sure you find the same error in YsF_ScriptSpellCheck.html first before reporting it if you're using the other file because if may have already been fixed, in other words.

You break my record, now I break you, like I break your friend!

Offline johnnybleu

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
Re: YsF Script Proofreading
« Reply #1 on: Jan. 04, 2007, 04:35:22 PM »
I played through the game a while back and did notice a typo or two. I didn't really note where they were exactly, but I know one of them is in the enemy descriptions- it says "warp" where it should be "wasp". Not a typo, per se, and imune to a spellcheck, but I doubt it's correct.

Next play through I'll make sure to write down anything I spot... O_o

Offline NightWolve

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Shogun
    • View Profile
    • Ys Utopia.net
« Reply #2 on: Jan. 04, 2007, 07:06:49 PM »
Thanks. Fixed. I filtered on 'warp' and found there is only one occurrence, as you said, for an enemy description. Good you remebered the bare minimum needed.

Offline zaratus

• Eager Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan. 05, 2007, 04:08:05 AM »
Just finished the game myself.  I do remember one incidence of 'weild' which should be wield.

I don't remember too much else in the way of typos.

There was one instance of the text seeming to get cut off and not wrapping to the next line.  Ugh, I forgot to take a picture, as I had already went to the next line, and I can no longer remember WHEN it was.

During the ending, while you can talk to the townspeople, in Edgar's house, talking to the count a couple of times, results in the Lady saying some things except the text speeds right by, and then closes, not giving you a chance to read it.  It's the same text she says normally though.

Hmm, I think there was another issue in the monster manual...  Double-checking quick...  Halvaiger - has the word 'nible' which should probably read 'nimble'  and positition, which would probably be position. 

Only other issue I have, is that the font seems hard to read at times in the 'Topics' section.  I like the font itself, just the coloring seems a bit off.  *shrug*
« Last Edit: Jan. 05, 2007, 04:35:05 AM by zaratus »

Offline NightWolve

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Shogun
    • View Profile
    • Ys Utopia.net
« Reply #4 on: Jan. 05, 2007, 04:27:27 AM »
I darkened the font color for the Topics feature. Somebody else was complaining about that. I remembered I have a color tag that should work in that case, and it does. The wield and nimble issues were reported and fixed, but I wish you did take that picture for a text wrapping problem. I'll look into the Edgar's house issue and try to reproduce it. I got a few error reports to catch up with that people sent me, but I did most of them.

Offline duke4711

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan. 08, 2007, 01:42:29 AM »
I played throught the game twice already, pretty much all I did since Christmas Day. I noticed the same typos already mentioned. One thing I did notice, is the places where you have people running up to you, it says something like "Huff Puff," in parenthesis before they actually start to say something. In my opinion, the parenthesis are not really necessary. I don't know how many people would agree with me, it's just my opinion. Also, what is the story with that Paul guy? Did he get his lips caught in a bottle or something?
Great spirits have always received violent opposition from mediocre minds.
-Albert Einstein

Offline NightWolve

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Shogun
    • View Profile
    • Ys Utopia.net
« Reply #6 on: Jan. 22, 2007, 12:02:25 PM »
There was one instance of the text seeming to get cut off and not wrapping to the next line.  Ugh, I forgot to take a picture, as I had already went to the next line, and I can no longer remember WHEN it was.

Does this refresh your memory?

I hope that's it, cause it's been fixed.

This particular string revealed another limitation I hadn't thought of with my Just-In-Time String Replacement system. The original Japanese string is duplicated and used for two differently sized boxes, the regular message box with the character's face to the left the way it is now, and in a full message box with no picture, allowing the for the full width to be filled. Since it's the same Japanese string, it's the same CRC32 that'll be computed for it, and when I use the CRC32 to fetch the English replacement, I can only bring back one kind of wrapped string, even though I wrapped the two occurences to deal with the two differently sized boxes. In this case, it was fetching the string that was wrapped with the full width considerations, so that explains what happened here.

I didn't know Berhard uses the same line in a differently sized message box till now. This'll happen only if you go to his cabin too early, like right after gaining the double jump ability. Anyway, I wrapped the two duplicate strings to fit the smaller sized box, so when the string appears in the full width box, it'll wrap slightly too early, but it's really no big deal. A slight deviation from the typical wrapping might be noticed, but most won't care.