In dedication of XSEED Games and the WyrdWad KKK Witch era, we present Jeff "DeuceBag" Nussbaum in his own words:

Why, if I didn't know any better, I'd say Psycho Jeff is involving/attacking the innocent families of neo-geo.com fans he wants to see die and help kill [painfully]!! Not the first time: when one of his bosses fired him (shock!), he not only wanted him dead but implied his kids must be as horribly ugly as he is! He didn't think anyone would read his blog, but like omgfloofy says, "Know your translator..." Another funny anecdote: while there are ambulance-chasers, Bankruptcy Jeff falls under the rare ambulance-crasher category, haha! Imagine being condemned, defamed, lied about by a complete psychotic mess of a manchild after massively cheating you who turns out was deflecting from deep mental problems & his own PR liabilities! This unhinged hypocrite bigoted bastard showing up from neo-geo.com in my forums/projects to get up on his high horse to smear me as an "embarassment" had A LOT of fucking nerve! BURN IN HELL!!

So...I finally figured out why all of XSEED/WyrdWad's friends can be credited for just about anything (including Ys Celceta DVD piracy) but I cannot (they have VERY high standards for people of good/moral character, you see):
Only bold/bald/fat homicidal cock-flashers & wyrdwad pedophiles are 'acceptable' for being credited on XSEED Games' localizations...

Last Shout - Posted by: Bernie - Sep. 09, 2020, 04:40:16 PM
WTF is up NW?!!!! ;D

Author Topic: Help! DirectInput could not be initialized...  (Read 2776 times)

Offline X-Calibar

• Experienced Guildsman
  • Gustave
    • View Profile
Help! DirectInput could not be initialized...
« on: Mar. 16, 2006, 08:34:29 AM »
I'm installing Ys 1 and 2 on a friend's computer...  But, I'm encountering application loading problems.

I get a mysterious and completely ambigious "Error: An error has occured." When trying to open Ys 1 or even OpeningOld... 
When running Ys 2, it simply starts to load then goes to desktop [doesn't get to any sound or any screen].  But, I noticed Ys 2 created a logfile... here's what it says

Compiled: Jul 10 2001 10:02:04
Exec: 2006/3/16 8:44:48
error: DirectInput could not be initialized.
YsII COMPLETE requires DirectX5 or better.
Please install it, if not already...

The computer is a Windows XP Home 3ghz P4, 256ram;
I've tried reinstalling a multiple times; sometimes in Japanese Unicode, sometimes not,
I've checked/updated DirectX to 9c,
updated drivers for XP, SoundBlaster Live! 24bit; checked/ing for updates for the Intel® 82865G Graphics Controller...

But so far nothing works! I only have a day or two to figure this out before I'll be leaving, so if you have any ideas :O I'm ready to try~

YS1_WIN.exe 2.0.1.0    tried english 1.26 and 1.27
YS2_WIN.exe 1.1.2.0    tried english 1.00

With or without Nightwolve's patches I get the same error~
Tried ysc0107 and even ysc0203 [it asks for a game disk if I use this one even if the image is mounted] (I keep the originals at home) I didn't run across any errors in install so....... [and no problems in Device Manager]

Help!

EDIT: Without knowing what to do, and time running out; I come to a few likely conclusions...
One, somehow the data has gotten corrupted?  From the rar archive I made way back [although there were no errors in decrypting the rar, and no apparent problems during install]
Two, perhaps the Intel® 82865G Graphics Controller in this Dell blows chunks; lol at least for poor Ys...
Three, some built in Dell Dimension 3000 feature, or software in this XP does something to interfere with directInput, at least with how Ys calls it..?
or Four, I missed something obvious.

I'm saddened that I haven't solved the mystery!  Still if anyone else has a suggestion before I have to leave tommorow; one last hope if not, a certain certified professional will be the last hurrah :P

If I figure it out, I'll be sure to post it here in the event it sheds some light how to avoid errors like these in the future~
*wonders how Windows Vista will handle our beloved translations...*
« Last Edit: Mar. 17, 2006, 12:05:43 AM by X-Calibar »

Offline NightWolve

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Shogun
    • View Profile
    • Ys Utopia.net
Re: Help! DirectInput could not be initialized...
« Reply #1 on: Mar. 17, 2006, 01:27:49 AM »
Sorry, I don't know.

You break my record, now I break you, like I break your friend!

crescendo

« Reply #2 on: Apr. 04, 2006, 04:41:58 PM »
i get the -exact- same problems as you do. i don't know why either, i've tried playing around with the directx settings and etc, reinstalling, changing regions, and so on but nothing seems to fix the problem.

i don't think it's caused by the graphics controller either, as i'm on a geforce fx 5200 and it still won't work for me.

Offline X-Calibar

• Experienced Guildsman
  • Gustave
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr. 08, 2006, 01:05:26 PM »
I'm back home now, and this computer runs Ys fine!  And the card is a GeForce FX 5200...   So, without extensive testing, I don't know what could be causing it;  Seems excessive, but if I had the opportunity I'd start from a fresh installed XP with the equipment that works on this machine that I know works, and slowly transfer it over; till I find what is wrong.  Now if I could do it and not just talk about it :O

Offline motoh

• Hapless Fledgling
  • Gruuuu.
    • View Profile
    • Area Seven Forums
« Reply #4 on: Apr. 19, 2006, 09:35:09 AM »
Well, DirectINPUT deals with the keyboard, game controllers, and mouse systems (input.)  The problem may lie there.  I can't think of anything specific to check, but run DxDiag.exe (from the run menu should do it) and see if there's any issues there.
~M