In dedication of XSEED Games and the WyrdWad KKK Witch era, we present Jeff "DeuceBag" Nussbaum in his own words:

Why, if I didn't know any better, I'd say Psycho Jeff is involving/attacking innocent families of neo-geo.com fans he wants to see die and help kill [painfully]!! Remember how a defining part of the WyrdWad era was equating targets to Hitler/Nazis ? Isn't this rant a Nazi eugenicist speech ? The "superior" fat, bald, cock-flasher says certain people AND their offspring need to be eliminated for being inferior, who represent a "pollution" of the human gene pool... It sure sounds like a Nazi speech to me by Jeff here, am I wrong XSEED fans/shills ?? Looking at you, DigitalEmelas! I mean, if it looks like a duck and walks like a duck, ya know ?? What do I know right? Everybody's ignoring it and other XSEED embarrassments...

Not the first time either: when one of his bosses fired him (shock!), he not only wanted him dead but implied his kids must be as horribly ugly as he is! He didn't think anyone would read his blog, but like omgfloofy says, "Know your translator..." I was also added to his kill-list when I trolled him on Kotaku's KKK Witches article (he wants me to die by an acid bath)... Another funny anecdote: while there are ambulance-chasers, Bankruptcy Jeff falls under the rare ambulance-crasher category, haha! Imagine being condemned, defamed, lied about by a complete psychotic mess of a manchild after massively cheating you who turns out was deflecting from deep mental problems & his own PR liabilities! This unhinged hypocrite bigoted bastard showing up from neo-geo.com in my forums/projects to get up on his high horse to smear me as an "embarassment" had A LOT of fucking nerve! BURN IN HELL!!

So...I finally figured out why all of XSEED/WyrdWad's friends can be credited for just about anything (including Ys Celceta DVD piracy) but I cannot (they have VERY high standards for people of good/moral character, you see):
While you are NOT credit-worthy, bold/bald/fat homicidal cock-flashers & wyrdwad pedophiles ARE 'acceptable' for being credited on XSEED Games' localizations...

Last Shout - Posted by: Bernie - Sep. 09, 2020, 04:40:16 PM
WTF is up NW?!!!! ;D

Poll

When/how did you discover Ys?

I discovered Ys recently thanks to Nightwolve :O
1 (3.3%)
I discovered Ys during the 80s in <blank> game
10 (33.3%)
I discovered Ys during the 90s in <blank> game
13 (43.3%)
I discovered Ys after 2000 in <blank> game
3 (10%)
I was following it during its original creation in Japan!
0 (0%)
I discovered Ys some other way
3 (10%)
I don't know.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Author Topic: How and when did you discover Ys? and...  (Read 21314 times)

Offline Dark Fact

• Hapless Fledgling
  • Justice is not blind. For I am her eyes.
    • View Profile
Re: How and when did you discover Ys? and...
« Reply #40 on: May. 01, 2006, 07:51:27 PM »
On a side note... correcting people spelling of Ys is unnessasary. It's a fictional word, and anyone who cares enough to look at the box or title screen will see it's Ys. I usually say Y's just because it's habit to put a ' between a y and an s in other words. Fan boys get their panties in a wad ( no offence to any of you, heh ) but it's quite trivial really.
Not trivial. If there's a CORRECT name to describe it, use it. Simple as that.
« Last Edit: May. 01, 2006, 07:53:15 PM by DarkFact »
"When the six Books are gathered, a great power will be revealed...
Sadly, you are not fated to see it!"

Offline esteban666

• Eager Initiate
  • "Swing the Glove to Exit" -Jackie Chan POWERBOXING
    • View Profile
    • TurboPlay Magazine Archives
« Reply #41 on: May. 02, 2006, 03:30:19 AM »
Guys! Come on, there's no need to be pedantic about the spelling of Ys when the culprit is Joe, who is a "regular" here.

Peace, love and harmony, bastards :).

!! !!
  |    | 

Offline JoeQuaker

• Mad Scientist
  • Experienced Guildsman
  • Joe TalksToTheWind
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May. 02, 2006, 08:10:34 AM »
Exactly Estaban... most people around here SHOULD know that I know the correct spelling. It was just a typo. Get a life you nerds ;)

Offline Dark Fact

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May. 02, 2006, 08:36:24 AM »
Exactly Estaban... most people around here SHOULD know that I know the correct spelling. It was just a typo.

Anyway, like I stated before... if it has a CORRECT name, use it. Unless you like to be called "Martha" instead of your true name, since you don't mind mispellings or typos.

As for being "Fictional" or not, try going to a nearby library and find a book, typing a mispelled / incomplete title or author. I bet you'll find it rather difficult.
Get a life you nerds ;)
Remember: Nerd is a mild offensive term. And as for life... speak for yourself.
« Last Edit: May. 02, 2006, 08:39:51 AM by DarkFact »

Offline JoeQuaker

• Mad Scientist
  • Experienced Guildsman
  • Joe TalksToTheWind
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May. 02, 2006, 11:57:50 AM »
You need to take a step back Darkfact. I would not use the term "nerds" so loosely if I did not consider myself to be one. While I am guilty for pointing out I need not be corrected on the spelling of Ys thus probably creating this bickering... it ends here.

Topic locked. Have a nice day.

EDIT: I don't have the heart to keep this locked, as I'm sure many Ys fans will want to add to this thread. Let's just stay on topic and cut each other some slack...

« Last Edit: May. 02, 2006, 04:19:50 PM by JoeQuaker »

Offline ViperD

• Eager Initiate
  • Silly gilly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May. 02, 2006, 06:00:00 PM »
EDIT: I don't have the heart to keep this locked, as I'm sure many Ys fans will want to add to this thread. Let's just stay on topic and cut each other some slack...
Concurred.

Offline turbofan

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May. 05, 2006, 08:19:18 AM »
I find this comical that these Ys geeks are worked up that I misspelled Ys. This is actually a pretty entertaining thread.

!! !!

Anyway, like I stated before... if it has a CORRECT name, use it. Unless you like to be called "Martha" instead of your true name, since you don't mind mispellings or typos.

As for being "Fictional" or not, try going to a nearby library and find a book, typing a mispelled / incomplete title or author. I bet you'll find it rather difficult.

As far as that goes,I agree with what joe said. Get a life man.
« Last Edit: May. 05, 2006, 08:20:35 AM by turbofan »

Offline Dark Fact

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May. 05, 2006, 12:18:04 PM »
I find this comical that these Ys geeks are worked up that I miss spelled Ys. This is actually a pretty entertaining thread.As far as that goes,I agree with what joe said.Get a life man.

Then let me quote myself again, lad...

As for "getting a life", speak for yourself. it's MISSPELLED, not MISS SPELLED. You didn't like my comment ? I don't give a rat's arse. And if you CANNOT write "Ys" correctly, I wonder WHY you play it... And do you have anything against "Ys Geeks" ? If you do, I believe you should keep that to yourself... and pipe down. I believe that at least 70% of the members here are Ys fans.

And I gotta admit... it's rare to see your kind here... Trolls are truly RARE to see in forums nowadays.

« Last Edit: May. 05, 2006, 12:22:15 PM by Dark Fact »

Offline Seldane

• Dulk Dekt
  • Seasoned Veteran
  • Maayti
    • View Profile
    • Ancient Land of Ys
« Reply #48 on: May. 05, 2006, 12:22:35 PM »
Actually, trolls are VERY common nowadays. He he.

By the way -- if you don't like Ys, or "Ys geeks", then why are you here? This is a message board for Ys fans to quote NightWolve himself.

Edit: Whoa! If you don't like Ys, then why are you a member of other Ys boards?
« Last Edit: May. 05, 2006, 12:26:36 PM by Seldane »
DVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:

Indeed, it's AV time. Check out: ! Sir, the door was open.

Offline Dark Fact

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May. 05, 2006, 12:27:04 PM »
Actually, trolls are VERY common nowadays. He he.

By the way -- if you don't like Ys, or "Ys geeks", then why are you here? This is a message board for Ys fans to quote NightWolve himself.

OFF TOPIC > Trolls are rare to be seen for THAT long. Usually they're banned on the first 10 posts.

Back to topic... > I'm a Ys fan since 1988. And DAMN PROUD of it ! And I count the DAYS to see the next game on the series...

Offline JoeQuaker

• Mad Scientist
  • Experienced Guildsman
  • Joe TalksToTheWind
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May. 05, 2006, 05:14:21 PM »
Damn it Turbofan... just when I thought this had stopped. That's nice you agree man... but STOP! It's over now! It's done now! We'll just have to agree to disagree. I think it's OK to slip and say Y's once in a while strictly over the fact it can be a common typo  in English. I've got plenty of grammer-Nazi friends that scold me everytime I say something like "out of it's element" and it is nothing but annoying. But I completely agree that one must KNOW the correct spelling. Also, you had better make damn sure that when you are spelling things for ALL to see it better be correct or it just looks stupid. I thought most of you guys knew me well enough to cut some slack but... that doesn't matter now. Hopefully now you do. But now for the record... if we get some guy coming here arguing that it is SUPOSED to be spelled Y's, do your best to rip him a new one ;)

Anyway, that's why this topic was locked in the first place. If I were to take action this time though, I'd just kick you for about a week or delete your posts Turbofan. Let's be civilized. Move on...

Anyway yeah... anyone heard any speculation of new Ys titles (Falcom or fan-made) ?
« Last Edit: May. 05, 2006, 05:38:13 PM by JoeQuaker »

Offline Red Hairdo

• Hapless Fledgling
  • Red-haired swordsmen...What makes them so special?
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May. 05, 2006, 05:37:20 PM »
Heh, actually...I don't know if it's true but,...I heard the US version of Ys for Sega Master System...in the box or somewhere else was written " Y's "... xD IF THAT IS TRUE, then this would explain why some people got used writing Ys with the ' ... does anybody here have heard this before?

Well, let's try to get back to topic a little. ^^ The way everyone here discovered Ys was cool. :) It seems most of us saw it first in the Sega Master System...maybe there would be a few more Ys fans if they had made Ys II for it too...

Offline JoeQuaker

• Mad Scientist
  • Experienced Guildsman
  • Joe TalksToTheWind
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May. 05, 2006, 05:42:58 PM »
Yes! I saw it for the Master System too first! But didn't play it. It was in a SEARS catalog I ordered Phantasy Star from, and it had this weird graphic instead of a screenshot or box (I think) of like red fragments all pointed to the big word, "Ys". It MAY have had an apostrophe but that was around 90' so I can't remember.

When I got to actually play my first Ys game, Wonderers on SNES... there was the correct spelling. The intro was SO KILLER to me back then. That funky music, the zooming in to the cheesy animations... I instantly fell in love.

Offline Red Hairdo

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May. 05, 2006, 05:54:57 PM »
Yes! I saw it for the Master System too first! But didn't play it. It was in a SEARS catalog I ordered Phantasy Star from, and it had this weird graphic instead of a screenshot or box (I think) of like red fragments all pointed to the big word, "Ys". It MAY have had an apostrophe but that was around 90' so I can't remember.

When I got to actually play my first Ys game, Wonderers on SNES... there was the correct spelling. The intro was SO KILLER to me back then. That funky music, the zooming in to the cheesy animations... I instantly fell in love.

xD Lol, I have a friend that also bought Phantasy Star instead of Ys, then loved the game later.

About the SNES animation, yeah, very nice =D.

Offline Seldane

• Dulk Dekt
  • Seasoned Veteran
  • Maayti
    • View Profile
    • Ancient Land of Ys
« Reply #54 on: May. 05, 2006, 06:09:55 PM »
Ys is spelled Y's on:

Ys I Sega Master System (American/European box, cart and  manual -- not in-game)
Ys III Wanderers From Ys (American SNES -- back of the box only)
Ys IV The Dawn of Ys (box, CD and manual -- not in-game)

See the trend here? None of these games were developed nor distributed by Falcom themselves.

« Last Edit: May. 05, 2006, 06:11:40 PM by Seldane »
DVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:

Offline Red Hairdo

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May. 05, 2006, 06:42:41 PM »
Ys is spelled Y's on:

Ys I Sega Master System (American/European box, cart and  manual -- not in-game)
Ys III Wanderers From Ys (American SNES -- back of the box only)
Ys IV The Dawn of Ys (box, CD and manual -- not in-game)

See the trend here? None of these games were developed nor distributed by Falcom themselves.

Heheh, so it was true then. But.... O_O it's amazing you know THAT much Seldane...though I didn't expect less from you ;D . Anyway, that explains the case.

Offline JoeQuaker

• Mad Scientist
  • Experienced Guildsman
  • Joe TalksToTheWind
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May. 05, 2006, 06:45:48 PM »
That's quite interesting Seldane, figures the 3rd parties for the American releases got a little sloppy (like me heh-heh).
« Last Edit: May. 05, 2006, 06:47:37 PM by JoeQuaker »

Offline NightWolve

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Shogun
    • View Profile
    • Ys Utopia.net
« Reply #57 on: May. 05, 2006, 08:04:24 PM »

I always blamed Hudson with their "Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys" release for introducing the misspelling and having it circulated. Didn't know there were other ports that circulated it as well. While I also get annoyed at seeing others misspell it, I can't blame them individually since the fault lies with non-Falcom game developers. So anyhow, given that there's a reasonable explanation as to why you're seeing it mistakenly spelled that way, there's little reason to have such a cow over it, ya know...?

You break my record, now I break you, like I break your friend!

Offline MonCapitan

• Hapless Fledgling
  • Cute Widdle Moogle
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May. 05, 2006, 08:38:30 PM »
Heh, actually...I don't know if it's true but,...I heard the US version of Ys for Sega Master System...in the box or somewhere else was written " Y's "... xD IF THAT IS TRUE, then this would explain why some people got used writing Ys with the ' ... does anybody here have heard this before?

Well, let's try to get back to topic a little. ^^ The way everyone here discovered Ys was cool. :) It seems most of us saw it first in the Sega Master System...maybe there would be a few more Ys fans if they had made Ys II for it too...
I have a copy of the Master System version.  It is spelled correctly on the front of the box.  It is spelled incorrectly on the spine and the back.
« Last Edit: May. 05, 2006, 08:41:11 PM by MonCapitan »

Offline MP83

• Eager Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May. 06, 2006, 01:35:50 AM »
I have a copy of the Master System version.  It is spelled correctly on the front of the box.  It is spelled incorrectly on the spine and the back.

And that's not all what's wrong with that cover:

Adol the Red Blond. ;D

« Last Edit: May. 06, 2006, 01:56:47 AM by MP83 »

Offline Seldane

• Dulk Dekt
  • Seasoned Veteran
  • Maayti
    • View Profile
    • Ancient Land of Ys
« Reply #60 on: May. 06, 2006, 06:56:22 AM »
Oh right. I totally forgot. Twelve years after the last Ys misspelling (YsIV), Konami decided to bring up the trend again. You know, just in case anyone had forgotten about it.  :rolleyes:

This is the seal from the PS2 version of Ys VI (yeah, I photographed it, I'm too lazy to drag out the scanner from the closet.) :rolleyes:

It is JUST spelled like that on the seal -- nowhere else. As if they WANTED to put the fault SOMEWHERE.  :P

Offline Red Hairdo

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May. 07, 2006, 07:22:42 PM »
 xD Maybe the guy who wrote in the seal...dunno...mistook the name for a sec...

And that's not all what's wrong with that cover:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v321/MP83/YsTheVanishedOmensUSA.jpg

Adol the Red Blond. ;D

xD Adol is blond-haired...The North American game boxes were always srewed up. As an example, look at the North American Megaman/Rockman boxes for the NES. It shows a kind of policeman wearing a yellow suit and shooting a gun. :P

Offline esteban666

• Eager Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May. 08, 2006, 04:36:29 PM »
Oh right. I totally forgot. Twelve years after the last Ys misspelling (YsIV), Konami decided to bring up the trend again. You know, just in case anyone had forgotten about it.  :rolleyes:

This is the seal from the PS2 version of Ys VI (yeah, I photographed it, I'm too lazy to drag out the scanner from the closet.) :rolleyes:

It is JUST spelled like that on the seal -- nowhere else. As if they WANTED to put the fault SOMEWHERE.  :P
Ha! I hadn't heard about the PS2 label, that's just golden!

Also, I'm happy to see that this thread moved on to be productive. On that note, to further our discussion, I can help put the "Y's" misspelling in even more context:

Ys wasn't only mispelled on the game packaging. I can tell you that nearly all of the North American video game magazines mispelled "Ys" as "Y's" at some point. And publications were not consistent (that is, the spelling would not be consistent within a single issue, let alone across several issues). This left the impression that the two terms could be used interchangeably. KEEP IN MIND that this was late 80's / early 90's, well before the Disciples of Ys began spreading the Good News (i.e. enlightening folks with the official Ys Canon).

Anyone (like myself) who was introduced to Ys via the console versions (SMS, TG-CD, SNES, Genesis) and read North American gaming publications has been exposed to "Y's".

Now, don't get me wrong: I want to promote the proper spelling of Ys and I think this is an important goal. However, I fear that many folks have forgotten or are unaware of the history behind the misspelling. :)
  |    | 

Offline Seldane

• Dulk Dekt
  • Seasoned Veteran
  • Maayti
    • View Profile
    • Ancient Land of Ys
« Reply #63 on: May. 08, 2006, 04:56:09 PM »
This is just a small post, but check out this store's Ys misspelling. This is by far the worst case. :rolleyes:

Click here!

(By the way, 495SEK is about $67USD! Pretty pricey, don't you think?) ;D

Offline esteban666

• Eager Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May. 08, 2006, 06:49:18 PM »
This is just a small post, but check out this store's Ys misspelling. This is by far the worst case. :rolleyes:

Click here!
:) Yes, that's a new one. The nicest thing I can say is that they almost misspelled Ys correctly! :)

UPDATE: OK, the recent brouhaha over the misspelling of "Y's" motivated me to dig up my SMS copy of the game. You're right! The label on the cart is misspelled (I didn't remember that), as well as the entire manual (especially the first few pages that provide the background story).
« Last Edit: May. 09, 2006, 04:57:26 AM by esteban666 »
  |    | 

Offline turbofan

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May. 10, 2006, 08:26:40 AM »
Edit: Whoa! If you don't like Ys, then why ...
Ah seldane, I never joined your forum bud. Thats somebody else. Ive never had any reason to join your forum, and never will.
« Last Edit: May. 10, 2006, 08:27:31 AM by turbofan »

Offline xneoangel

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May. 29, 2006, 06:35:06 PM »
I discovered Ys on a year that has just gone by 2005 :P, actually i got a TurboDuo since im a castlevania fan and i wanted to play Dracula X, since i got the console i wanted more games, so a friend borrowed me some, among them Ys Books I & II.

At first i thought it was stupid(the monster stomping part xD), but then i realised how fun it was, and i couldnt get off that TruboDuo until i finished both games in aproximatedly 3 days(i really couldn't get off that TurboDuo), after that i did some Ys research and found about Nightwolve's Dawn of Ys translation and the Ys I & II Complete Version for the PC also about Nightwolve's patch for this particular version so well i got that as well and played it, then i got Ys VI The Ark of Napishtim for my PS2 and loved it as well...

Well... i just got amazed from Ys I & II greatness and after that i became an Ys Fan.

Right now there are only 2 Ys games i haven't played, Ys 5 because i can't find any translation and Oath in Felghana because i'm waiting for Nightwolve's patch. :P

Offline Arjak

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Jun. 24, 2006, 07:48:15 AM »
One day, I was reading Game Informer, my favorite gaming magazine, when I noticed a feature on the top ten games for the TurboGrafx. Ys Book I & II was number one. Not having a Turbo system and never planning on having one, I shrugged it off. Besides, I had heard that it was a lot like Hydlide.

Scary, huh?

Some time later, I find a cool website called Hardcore Gaming 101. As I browsed through the articles, I noticed one for Popful Mail, which I was somewhat interested in. After hearing that it was made by Falcom (As far as I knew at the time, Working Designs made it), I heard about Ys again and saw an article for it. As I read the article, my interest began to grow. I downloaded the crappy Oasis translation of the MSX version, and was hooked! Unfortuntely, I didn't know how to use items, and got stuck at the part where you need to break the pillar in Darm Tower.

I began looking for websites devoted to Ys, but all I found was one forum. With reluctance, I visited it and signed up. Later, I bought Ys I Complete for over $100 on Himeya. After waiting several weeks for it, it finally came (Last time I ever order from those jerks). I installed it, applied a patch that would supposedly translate the game...

...And the rest was history.

Offline Game_Hunter

• Hapless Fledgling
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Jun. 25, 2006, 07:26:44 AM »
I first played Ys on my Master System back in 1991 and then bought Ys III (with that godawful cover "art" that Renovation always used).  I have now bought Ys games more times than I care to think about, I have Ys I&II in no less than 4 versions (SMS, PCE, PS2 and LE DVD PC version) not to mention Ys III (PC LE DVD remake, MD, Genesis, PCE and PS2), Ys IV on the PCE and SFC, Ys V SFC, and of course Ys IV (PC DVD LE and PSP).  I really hope Falcom release a new Ys game game soon or give Ys IV the Oath in Felghana treatment!  I LOVE FALCOM and YS!

Some time later, I find a cool website called Hardcore Gaming 101. As I browsed through the articles, I noticed one for Popful Mail, which I was somewhat interested in. After hearing that it was made by Falcom (As far as I knew at the time, Working Designs made it),

That's priceless, dont people know that those morons did nothing but (badly) translate and screw up games?  I saw a review of Lunar 2 Saturn the other day and the person was complaining about the story (idiot in other words) and saying "working designs could have done better".

Offline ranzor

• Eager Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Jun. 28, 2006, 03:10:49 PM »
My first Ys game was the Master System version, back in 1988/89. I saw the advertising and liked the artwork, so I got it for christmas, I guess. Trouble was, I didn't know much english at the time, so I didn't really know what to do and didn't get far. I ended up selling it some years later, and it wasn't until the emulation era that I got to play it again. I really loved it this time around, and it was amazing how much I remembered it. Since then, I got all the versions I could find, and also all the other games in the series. It's definitely one of my favorite series in the video-gaming world.